Sign On Bonus: $1,000.00 Job Type: Full-time Pay: $17.80 - $25.43 per hour Location: Bloomington-Normal, IL
REPORTS TO: Maintenance Supervisor
FLSA: Non-Exempt, safety sensitive position
SUMMARY: Primary duties are to function as a professional service technician by maintaining facilities, grounds and equipment owned by Bloomington Normal Public Transit System.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: NONE
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following examples are not to be interpreted as an inclusive list; additional tasks may be assigned as needed to achieve the goals of the transit system.
- Position vehicles in the lot as per loading and morning departures
- Perform bus switch outs on an as needed basis; perform field repairs as needed.
- Perform minor vehicle repair such as replacing headlights, light bulbs, wiper blades, and more.
- Assists and performs preventative maintenance as assigned.
- Check and record all vehicle fluids and top, as necessary.
- Handles fare box collection in accordance with company rules and regulations regarding fare collection.
- Clean, maintain Connect Transit buses, equipment, facilities, and grounds.
- General shop cleaning and maintenance; including flooring and walls.
- Clean and maintain and repair bus shelters, signs, and amenities.
- Perform work functions in accordance with safe practices, company procedures and governmental regulations and advise supervisor of any safety issues witnessed.
- Perform lawn care duties such as lawn mowing, weed eating, weed pulling and edging, snow removal.
- Carry out maintenance safety requirements.
- Ensures quality service through effective customer relations and timely feedback.
- Fueling, servicing, and cleaning vehicles
- Other duties as assigned within the scope of the position.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Move equipment, supplies, furniture, and tools on an incidental basis.
- Facility painting and repair functions
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Use and care of all hand tools and test equipment.
- Regulations regarding safe practices, company procedures and government regulations regarding safety.
- To read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedural manuals.
- Write routine reports and correspondence.
- Speak effectively before groups of customers and /or employees.
- Use of all units of measurement, common fractions, and decimals.
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Operate calmly in high stress situations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other transit system departments, collective bargaining unit members, outside contractors, vendors, and other government agencies.
- Must provide their own tools (Preferred).
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Minimum, high school general equivalency diploma (GED) or technical school and 1 year experience with automotive and general maintenance; or an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS: Ability to obtaina valid Illinois Commercial Driver’s license with air brake and passenger endorsements.
PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES/DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work requires sufficient physical strength, agility, endurance, dexterity, and hand-eye coordination to perform all essential duties; the employee must occasionally lift and/or move between 75-100 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment is representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee will occasionally work near moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to assorted fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals and exposed to vibrations and risk of electrical shock. Work is performed indoors and outdoors in extreme hot or cold. It involves exposure to normal risks typical to all aspects of transit system bus operations. It may involve exposure to angry and/or unpleasant individuals.
Connect Transit provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.