SIGN ON BONUS: $1,500.00 Job Type: Full-time Pay: From $60,000.00 per year Location: Bloomington-Normal, IL
Under general supervision; provides direct supervision to Maintenance employees. Assigns and prioritizes work functions; schedules, motivates, and trains assigned staff; ensures the timely and high-quality repair of vehicles and adherence to preventative maintenance programs; and keeps accurate records of all work performed.
This is a supervisory job classification with direct supervision of mechanics and servicemen. The incumbent is evaluated on his/her ability to supervise and manage subordinates and is held accountable for the performance of his or her subordinates.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(The following examples are not to be interpreted as an inclusive list; additional tasks may be assigned as needed to achieve the goals of the transit system.)
- Supervises schedules and assigns work to Maintenance staff.
- Inspects all vehicles needing repair. Arranges for scheduled and routine maintenance, determines types of repair needed, estimates time of completion, and road tests vehicles.
- Review employee work progress for compliance with Connect Transit maintenance standards.
- Recommends changes in work practices and reports unresolved problems to the Maintenance Manager.
- Researches and recommends equipment purchases, makes appropriate purchases in accordance with standard operating procedure and assists with inventory control.
- Inspects vehicles for cleanliness and orders corrective maintenance as needed.
- Runs PMI schedule daily to ensure PMI on time performance is compliant with Federal and internal goals.
- Monitors progress of work in all stages of repair and identifies delayed repairs and takes appropriate action to ensure work is completed in a timely manner.
- Prepares payroll accurately to be submitted to the Maintenance Manager for review. Approves overtime and documents reasoning for overtime, sick leave and vacation usage.
- Identifies and corrects deficiencies as appropriate
- Recognizes and implements improved work practices, parts utilization and training.
- Enforcing departmental policies and procedures and establishes specific work goals and objectives.
- Work with maintenance staff to determine the appropriate course of action for disabled vehicles.
- Ensure departmental safety by promoting a culture of safety.
- Communicate with all internal and external customers in a respectful and courteous way.
- Exceptional decision making skills.
- Excellent attendance;
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Principles and practices of supervision as it relates to transit and fleet management.
- Diagnosis, repair, and overhaul of engines, parts and components, vehicle bodies and electrical and mechanical systems.
- Principles of preventative maintenance and cost control.
- Mechanical tooling and garage equipment/machinery.
- Practices, work methods, tools, and equipment used in the automotive/transit bus trade.
- Considerable knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions necessary in automotive/transit bus trade work.
- Bus and auto vehicle body repairs, engine, transmission, electrical, electronic and brakes, air conditioning system trouble shooting and repairs.
- FTA guidelines and regulations
- Ability to assign, supervise and instruct subordinates in maintenance work.
- Ability to understand, follow, and communicate oral instruction, and to prepare written work and inventory records.
- Learn Connect Transit policies and procedures.
- Supervise, train and motivate personnel.
- Analyze and resolve complex maintenance and repair problems.
- Interact professionally with carious levels of Connect Transit employees and outside representatives.
- Use independent judgment and initiative in developing solutions to problems.
- Ability to diagnose defects in equipment and building conditions and to perform such work without technical supervision.
- Physical ability to perform demanding tasks over prolonged periods.
- Learn and utilize computerized systems for personnel and maintenance records.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Associates Degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience, and a minimum of five years’ experience, in automotive/bus mechanical work relating to buses. Previous supervisory experience in a mechanical environment preferred. ASE Transit bus series certification preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS
- Possession or the ability to readily obtain a Class B CDL with P (passenger endorsement) within one year of hire.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work requires sufficient physical strength, agility, endurance, and dexterity and hand-eye coordination to perform all essential duties. Work requires lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Work requires operating standard office equipment such as personal computer workstations, printers, copy machines and FAX machines. Some work may be performed outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
The work is primarily performed indoors. It involves exposure to normal risks typical to all aspects of transit system bus operations. It may involve exposure to angry and/or unpleasant individuals.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT. Nothing in this job description restricts Connect Transit’s ability to assign, reassign or eliminate duties and responsibilities of this job at any time. It does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description describes the agency’s current assignment of essential functions. Those functions may change at any time as the needs of the agency change or for other reasons deemed appropriate by Connect Transit.
Connect Transit provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.