Custodian, Full Time
Connect Transit is celebrating 50 years of service as the primary public transit system for the Bloomington-Normal area this year, providing quality transportation to residents, allowing them to live spontaneously. Our mission is to provide safe, reliable transportation and access to opportunity to strengthen and enrich individual lives, our community, the economy, and the environment. All of our employees are vital in supporting this mission, read on to see how you can be part of it too!
As a Connect Transit Service Custodian you will clean and maintain all Connect Transit facilities, grounds, and equipment by doing routine custodial work and lawn maintenance. You will be trained on all aspects of the position and the tools used to complete the work, so you are ready to safely take on the role with confidence.
- First year: $35,401 at $17.02 an hour
- Second year: $41,121 at $19.77 an hour
- Third year: $47, 070 at $22.63 an hour
What We Offer:
- Medical insurance: Connect Transit will pay 90% of employee premium and 65% of dependent premiums.
- Dental, vision, and life insurance
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
- Paid birthdays
- Retirement plans, employer contribution at 5%
- Tuition reimbursement
- Uniform provided
- Yearly tool/shoe reimbursement ($125)
- Opportunities for advancement
- Free bus rides for employees and immediate family members
- A team atmosphere with Trainers, Supervisors, and coworkers who want to see you succeed in your job
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Perform work functions in accordance with safe practices, company procedures, and government regulations
- Insuring a safe and clean work environment by performing routine custodial work inside buildings as directed, including but not limited to cleaning floors, dusting and polishing furniture, replacing light bulbs, emptying garbage cans, cleaning and servicing drinking fountains, cleaning restrooms, cleaning break rooms, cleaning windows and window fixtures, cleaning tables and chairs, etc.
- Assist in delivery of packages or supplies to other employees
- Assist in maintaining inventory of cleaning and maintenance supplies
- Lawn care, including mowing, trimming, pulling weeds, etc.
- Sweep or shovel snow from facility walkways and entrances, spread salt when needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Complete required yearly trainings (Diversity/Inclusion in the Workplace, Equal Opportunity, etc.)
- High School diploma or GED
- Minimum age of 18
- Valid Illinois Driver’s License
- Acceptable driving record (No serious traffic or license violations within the last five years)
- Pass background check
- Pass Department of Transportation Physical and pre-employment drug test, and willingness to comply with federal drug and alcohol testing requirements
- 1 year experience with general maintenance; or equivalent experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team to accomplish the assigned task
- Ability to take verbal and written direction
- Ability to properly use standard cleaning supplies on various surfaces
- Ability to interpret units of measurement
- Ability to work when needed, including nights, weekends, early mornings
- Ability to work in varying weather conditions, including outdoors during winter
- Ability to occasionally lift/move 75-100 pounds
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
* Connect Transit provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.