SIGN ON BONUS: $3,000.00 Job Type: Full-time Pay: $22.42 - $32.03 per hour Location: Bloomington-Normal, IL
Class C Mechanic With Opportunity to Move Up to Class B & Class A Based on Performance (those job descriptions include increased responsibility)
Hours Worked: Possible Nights and Weekends
REPORTS TO: Maintenance Supervisor & Maintenance Manager
FLSA: Non-Exempt, safety sensitive position
Primary duties are to function as a lead mechanic by repairing and maintaining all electric, diesel and gasoline industrial buses and vans owned by Connect Transit.
This position has no direct reports.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(The following examples are not to be interpreted as an inclusive list; additional tasks may be assigned as needed to achieve the goals of the transit system.)
- Inspects vehicles, and tools and equipment on a scheduled basis;
- Makes minor repairs and adjustments and reports other necessary repairs to supervisors for appropriate attention.
- Lubricates vehicles and equipment per assigned schedule.
- Performs routine tire maintenance including inflation checks, rotations, and replacements.
- Replaces and installs accessories such as mirrors, wipers, and lights’
- Completes maintenance forms and service records to include computer entry where applicable.
- Transports parts and equipment when necessary.
- Assists Class A Mechanics with heavy repair work.
- Performs general housekeeping duties in garage and equipment yard.
- Assists with stocking and ordering parts.
- Helps pick up and deliver vehicles for service.
- Perform work functions in accordance with safe practices, company procedures and governmental regulations and advise supervisor of any safety issues witnessed.
- May perform minor welding and fabrication.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent attendance
- Carries out maintenance safety requirements.
- Maximize efficient use of vehicle repair parts.
- Evaluates quality and expedience of technician’s assigned tasks.
- Ensures quality service through effective customer relations and timely feedback.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Use and care of all hand tools and test equipment.
- Regulations regarding safe practices, company procedures and government regulations regarding safety;
- To read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedural manuals.
- Write routine reports and correspondence;
- Speak effectively before groups of customers and /or employees
- Use of all units of measurement, common fractions and decimals.
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Operate calmly in high stress situations
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other transit system departments, collective bargaining unit members, outside contractors, vendors and other government agencies;
- Meet the physical strength, agility and dexterity requirements to perform the work of this position.
- Must provide their own tools
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1 year experience with automotive mechanics with diesel engines preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable. Preferred but nor required, Associates Degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school and
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS
Possession of a valid Illinois Commercial Driver’s license with air brake and passenger endorsements.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work requires sufficient physical strength, agility, endurance, dexterity and hand-eye coordination to perform all essential duties; the employee must occasionally lift and/or move between 75-100 pounds.
The work environment is representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee will occasionally work near moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to assorted fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals, and exposed to vibrations and risk of electrical shock. Work is performed indoors and outdoors. It involves exposure to normal risks typical to all aspects of transit system bus operations. It may involve exposure to angry and/or unpleasant individuals.
Connect Transit provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.